Saturday, August 21, 2010

Quinoa Coconut Cookies

If you have not tried quinoa, you really should. It reminds me of couscous but the percentage of protein in this tiny grain is astonishing. The easiest way to cook it is 2 to 1 liquid to quinoa. Cook it in water if you want to bake with it or eat it for breakast, cook it with broth if you want it as a side dish - or even coconut milk works!

Now that I have discovered quinoa, I want to use it in everything - even baking! This recipe really surprised me. I thought the cookies would be dry, or else have a pasty texture. Instead, they could easily be my favorite cookies ever. The recipe calls for 3/4c. of sugar but I reduced it to 1/2c. because I think they are a little sweet. I also use dark chocolate chips but you could use semi-sweet or sub in raisins.

Quinoa Coconut Cookies
thepioneerwoman.com

⅓ cups Butter, Softened
⅓ cups Peanut Butter
2 whole Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla
¾ cups Brown Sugar
1-½ cup Whole Wheat Flour
½ cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
¼ teaspoons Baking Soda
1-½ cup Cooked Quinoa, Cooled
1 cup Chocolate Chips

Beat together the butter, peanut butter, eggs, vanilla and sugar until smooth.
In another bowl, combine the flour, coconut, baking powder, and baking soda.
Add the dry ingredients to the peanut butter mixture and mix until smooth.
Stir in the quinoa and chocolate chips.
Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough onto a greased cookie sheet.
Bake at 375 degrees for 11 minutes or until edges are golden.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have learn some good stuff here. Certainly price bookmarking for revisiting.
I surprise how so much effort you put to create the sort
of great informative website.

My homepage - more info